Conference 11889 > Paper 11889-18
Paper 11889-18

From history to future market requirements of optical glass at SCHOTT

On demand | Presented live 18 October 2021

Abstract

In 1884 Otto Schott, Ernst Abbe and Carl and Roderich Zeiss founded the SCHOTT & Associates Glass Technology laboratory in Jena, Germany. Otto Schott’s target was to develop new glasses on optical positions defined by Ernst Abbe and high reproducible quality that would tremendously improve the image quality of Carl Zeiss microscopes and optical instruments. Prior to 1880, optical components were made from simple crown and flint glasses. The crown glasses were soda-lime silicates with low refractive indices and moderate Abbe numbers. The flint glasses were lead silicates with relatively low Abbe Numbers. By 1884 already two dozen flint and crown glasses were available for optical system designs. Still today photonics industry relies heavily on optical glasses to realize tightest optical design requirements of today photonics applications. The difference between today and the past is that the designer can choose from a variety of more than 120 optical glasses with differences in optical position, transmittance and very specific dispersion requirements.

Presenter

SCHOTT AG (Germany)
The author studied physics at the technical university of Darmstadt, Germany. There he received his doctorate degree in 2013 in the area of nonlinear microscopy. After a short periode as a post-doc position at the technical university of Darmstadt, he joined SCHOTT as application engineer. Since 2015 he is tacking care as a product manager about the optical glasses - the heritage of SCHOTT.
Author
SCHOTT AG (Germany)
Presenter/Author
SCHOTT AG (Germany)
Author
SCHOTT AG (Germany)