2014 Joseph W. Goodman Book Writing Award
Vladimir Shalaev and Wenshan Cai win Goodman Award
SPIE Fellow Vladimir Shalaev and Wenshan Cai are the 2014 recipients of the Joseph W. Goodman Book Writing Award for Optical Metamaterials: Fundamentals and Applications, published by Springer Press in 2010.
The authors will accept the award in August at SPIE Optics + Photonics.
The Goodman Book Writing Award, co-sponsored by SPIE and OSA, is a biennial award funded by Joseph and Hon Mai Goodman to recognize authorship of an outstanding book in the field of optics and photonics.
Shalaev is the scientific director for nanophotonics at the Birck Nanotechnology Center and a distinguished professor of electrical and computer engineering at Purdue University (USA).
A past recipient of the UNESCO Medal for the development of nanosciences and nanotechnologies, Shalaev specializes in nanophotonics, plasmonics, and optical metamaterials.
Cai is an associate professor in electrical and computer engineering and materials science and engineering at the Georgia Institute of Technology (USA).
He received his PhD from Purdue in 2008 and has pursued a research program in the area of nanophotonic devices and metamaterials.
More SPIE awards for 2014
Information about the recipients of the 2014 SPIE Britton Chance Biomedical Optics Award, the SPIE Biophotonics Technology Innovator Award, and the Frits Zernike Award were published in the April issue of SPIE Professional.
Read more about SPIE annual awards.
SPIE presents several annual awards that recognize individual and team technical accomplishments in optics and photonics and service to the Society.
Nominations must be accompanied by:
- Nomination form
- Citation stating the accomplishments of nominee
- Description of the significant aspects of nominee's career
- Curriculum vitae listing educational background, positions held, publications, awards, honors, activities, and offices held within SPIE
- At least two letters of reference, not from the nominator
SPIE President H. Philip Stahl will present the 2014 Society awards Wednesday, 20 August, at the annual awards banquet in San Diego, CA (USA).
Tickets to the 7:30 pm event cost $90 and can be purchased with registration or on site at SPIE Optics + Photonics.
- Have a question or comment about this article? Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To receive a print copy of SPIE Professional, the SPIE member magazine, become an SPIE member.