A primary benefit of Membership in SPIE is the opportunity to interact with world-class scientists and engineers at the leading edge of technological advances in optics and photonics. Each student chapter in good standing can request travel support for one lecturer per calendar year using the Visiting Lecturer funding. Unused benefits do not rollover into following calendar years.
Organize a Lecture:
- Select a speaker from the list provided. SPIE Visiting Lecturers are listed alphabetically in the Lecturer Directory. Listings include contact information, biographic data, and lecture topics. Invited speakers must be SPIE members to be eligible for this program. To invite individuals not listed in the directory, please email email@example.com.
- Contact the speaker directly to request a lecture and suggest possible dates. In the invitation, it is best to indicate a deadline to respond so that both the organizer and the lecturer are aware of the expected timeline for communication. Two weeks is a good minimum for expecting a response. An example of a closing paragraph follows: "We would be honored to have you deliver a lecture between [list lecture date suggestions]. Please notify me of your interest in delivering a lecturer by [date]. If you are interested, we can work with you to determine a more specific timeline of your visit." Please do not send out multiple invitations to different lecturers at the same time. Allow enough time in advance of your lecture to individually invite lecturers. If you do not receive a response by the set date, it is reasonable to either send a reminder or invite another lecturer.
- Upon acceptance of the invitation, request an estimate of travel expenses from the lecturer. SPIE provides Student Chapters and other approved regional organizations with up to $1500 USD per year to support this activity.
- Complete an SPIE Visiting Lecturer Request Form and submit it to SPIE for approval (no reimbursement will be authorized without prior approval by SPIE).
- Upon approval by SPIE, work with the lecturer directly concerning logistical details for the visit (airport transportation, A/V needs, meals, etc.).
- Ask your lecturer to make their own travel arrangements and submit receipts to SPIE within 30-days of their presentation.