When is the deadline?
- February 15. All materials must be submitted by 11:59 pm (Pacific Standard Time) on this date. Start early!
When will I be notified of the results?
- All students will be notified of the results of their application in May/June.
I received a scholarship, can I apply again?
- Yes you can apply again if you have been awarded a scholarship in previous years. The Annual Scholarshp Award Report form is required and your application must show new activities from which a previous award was received.
I wasn't awarded a scholarship and would like to re-apply. Is it possible to obtain feedback on why I didn't receive one?
- If the information is available, feedback on the results of your application will be given upon request.
Does SPIE require transcripts?
- Transcripts are optional.
Are CV/resumes required?
What should I write about in my essay/personal statement?
- Write about your academic/work career that you are passionate about, explain what it is, and why. Keep the evaluation committee's criteria in mind.
- Be concise, avoid long drawn out responses. Keep in mind the Commitee reads many applications.
- For scholarships that have a financial need component, tell your story if there is something out of the ordinary.
- Be yourself.
Who should I ask to write the recommendation letters and what should he/she write about?
- The recommender should know you personally and he/she should be able to write about your character, commitment, experiences and successes (family members cannot submit recommendations).
- Good examples of people to ask for references include past or present teachers/professors, and past or present employers (not family members).
- Provide the recommender with a CV/resume/list of activities and accomplishments, and a copy of the scholarship evaluation criteria.
- Give your recommender adequate time to prepare your letter.
- Make a checklist of what you need to have a complete online application packet (completed online application and two letters of recommendation are required for submission).
- Make a copy of your application and keep in your files.
- Incomplete applications will not be submitted for consideration.
- Make sure all contact information and email address is accurate.
- Do not mail hard copies of your application to SPIE.