Student participation at SPIE Photonics West was in evidence as numerous optics and photonics students presented their papers in San Jose. Among the winners of various awards:
Two students shared the top prize for the Coherent-sponsored Best Student Paper in Solid State Lasers: Technology and Devices. They were Dominik Bauer of TRUMPF Laser and University of Konstanz and Jens Löhring of Fraunhofer-Institut für Lasertechnik.
The Best Poster Award from the LASE Symposium was won by Martin Fibrich of Czech Technical University in Prague.
In the conference on Colloidal Quantum Dots for Biomedical Applications, the Ocean Optics Young Investigator Awards was presented to Kelly Boeneman for her paper titled, "Peptide linkers for the assembly of semiconductor quantum dot bioconjugates."
Kazuhiro Kurokawa of the University of Tsukuba was awarded the Pascal Rol Award for the Best Paper in Ophthalmic Technologies. The award is sponsored by the Topcon Advanced Biomedical Imaging Laboratory through the Pascal Rol Foundation.
The PicoQuant Young Investigator Award was won by Jonas Folling, Sigrun Henkenjohann, and Nathan P. Wells at the Single Molecule Spectroscopy and Imaging II conference. The best oral presentation by a presenter under the age of 35 earned them each $750.
In addition, scholarships and travel awards were made during the week.
Dimitris Gorpas, Kye-Sung Lee, Erik Sorenson, William Warger, and Thomas O'Sullivan received scholarships at a BiOS luncheon, and 18 young optics researchers received travel grants from Newport and Spectra-Physics to attend SPIE Photonics West.
Those receiving Newport and Spectra-Physics Research Excellence Travel Awards were:
- Ishan Barman, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Maysamreza Chamanzar, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Yi-Chen Chuang, University of North Carolina at Charlotte
- Clara Dimas, Lehigh University
- Qiaoqiang Gan, Lehigh University
- Matthew Keller, Vanderbilt University
- Mohammad Khan, Old Dominion University
- Lu Lu, Kent State University
- Gregory Michalak, Louisiana Tech University
- Daniel Muffoletto, Roswell Park Cancer Institute
- Priyaveena Puvanakrishnan, University of Texas at Austin
- Jinze Qiu, University of Texas at Austin
- Theresa Sands, Roswell Park Cancer Institute
- Jennifer Shum, Friedrich Miescher Institute
- Kelly Sry, Beckman Laser Institute and Medical Clinic
- Tianyi Wang, University of Texas at Austin
- Mark Winkler, Harvard University
- Raiyan Zaman, University of Texas at Austin
Newport award winners with Newport Representative Randy Heyler and SPIE President Maria Yzuel