Share Email Print

Proceedings Paper

Status of the MEMS industry
Author(s): J. C. Eloy; E. Mounier
Format Member Price Non-Member Price
PDF $17.00 $21.00

Paper Abstract

This paper analyzes the current status of the MEMS industry. After the 2000 and 2001 years with high expectation for MEMS devices for the optical telecommunications, followed by the 2002/2003 downturn leading to the closing of more than 100 MEMS fabs worldwide, this industry has come back to a more normal way of working. There are still 10 to 15 companies worldwide which will certainly end their business within 16 months but the overall activity is more stabilized. MEMS markets will reach 5.4 B$ in 2005, with growth rates which are very different if one compares different market segments. The top 30 MEMS manufacturers have a market share of more than 60% of the total market; the remaining 40% is shared by more than 200 companies. Most of the smallest companies have 2 business models: either small companies developing specific processes, with R&D and small volume production, or systems manufacturers with integrated fabs. These fabs are loaded at less than 40% but considered as an enabler for the system business. Many changes are currently appearing: as contract manufacturers become more credible, system manufacturers are looking to externalise their fabrication processes; fabless companies are also finding companies able to produce at the right cost and quality. The fabless business model is now well structured.

Paper Details

Date Published: 22 January 2005
PDF: 7 pages
Proc. SPIE 5717, MEMS/MOEMS Components and Their Applications II, (22 January 2005);
Show Author Affiliations
J. C. Eloy, Yole Developpement (France)
E. Mounier, Yole Developpement (France)

Published in SPIE Proceedings Vol. 5717:
MEMS/MOEMS Components and Their Applications II
Albert K. Henning, Editor(s)

© SPIE. Terms of Use
Back to Top
Sign in to read the full article
Create a free SPIE account to get access to
premium articles and original research
Forgot your username?