This course provides a primer in mirror system design using freeform surfaces. The course will be of interest to those engineers working with imaging systems which require the use of mirrors as lens systems may not be appropriate. A review of wave aberrations will be given, then a systematic methodology to design unobscured mirror systems will be presented, and a number of examples will be discussed. Ad-hoc freeform surfaces will be explained. The attendees should expect to obtain useful and practical knowledge in mirror system design. Some familiarity with optical design is required.
- explain imaging aberrations of unobscured mirror systems
- describe the method of confocal mirror design
- lay out a confocal mirror system
- use a freeform surface to correct for field aberrations
- design a two mirror aplanatic and unobscured system
- design a three mirror anastigmatic and unobscured system