22 - 26 April 2018
At A Glance
25 October 2017
26 January 2018
Manuscript Due Date:
26 March 2018
! PLEASE NOTE !
DOID Student Optical Design Challenge
ABSTRACT DUE DATE: 1 DECEMBER 2017
Optical Design Challenge Sponsors
- Bernard C. Kress, Microsoft Corp. (United States)
SPIE is joining with the world leading companies in VR, AR and MR HMD hardware development to organize the first Student Optical Design Challenge at the Digital Optics for Immersive Displays (DOID) Conference (http://spie.org/epe106) during SPIE Photonics Europe in Strasbourg in April next yearFull conference program can be viewed at: http://spie.org/EPE106
What are the design challenges?
There are four challenges:
- Designing a limited FOV monocular see through smart glass imaging system.
- Designing a compact Virtual Reality (VR) binocular display system with fixed optical foveation.
- Designing a compact Vergence-Accommodation conflict (VAC) mitigation display architecture for AR, VR HMDs, HUD or desktop display.
- Open AR/VR/MR design challenge.
Download the PDF that includes specific technical specifications for the challenge
Who will be judging the designs?
The Jury will be composed of the industry sponsors donating cash prizes. The Jury will also include several world leading figures in AR, VR and MR design.
What are the criteria used by the jury to select the winning designs?
The Jury will not only grade the optical design and the resulting optical specs (including tolerancing), but also the actual work presentation, along the following criteria:
- Novelty of the optical architecture/optical technology used.
- Quality of the state of the art analysis.
- Closeness of the resulting design to the target specs.
- Quality of the written paper along SPIE manuscript redaction rules.
- Quality of the poster presentation.
- Quality of the oral pitch presentation in front of the jury (5-minute pitch).
What are the prizes?
In each of the four categories there will be three prizes:
- First prize: 5 000.00 Euros in cash
- Second prize: 2 500.00 Euros in cash
- Third prize: high end NVidia GPU card (>1000 Euros value)
What software can I use?
The optical design software is at the choice of the student. However, Zemax and Lambda Research Corp. (industry sponsors) are making their optical design software available free of charge for any student applying for the challenge by submitting an abstract. Technical details on how to access such free software licenses will be sent to participants sometime after the 1 December deadline.
Do I need to hand over the design file?
No, the optical design has to be described in the manuscript that will be published in the Digital Optics for Immersive Displays (DOID18) Conference proceeding.