Deadline: February 15, 11:59 pm, Pacific Standard Time.
SPIE offers Educational Scholarships for all students from high school (pre-university/secondary) through PhD. We also offer Travel Scholarships to SPIE symposium for undergraduates and graduate students who are not in a doctoral program. Students who are not in a doctoral program and undergraduates are eligible to apply for either scholarship, but not both.
The key criterion in evaluation and ranking applications is the "prospect for long-term contribution that the granting of an award will make to the field of optics, photonics or related field." Need, in and by itself, shall not be considered as a criterion.
Who Can Apply
SPIE Educational and Travel Scholarships are open to full- and part-time students studying anywhere in the world. All scholarship applications are judged on their own merit based on the experience and education level of the individual student. High school (pre-university, secondary school), undergraduate, post-secondary and graduate students will be judged relative to other applicants with similar educational backgrounds.
SPIE is using ScholarSelect to provide an easy and secure way to submit your application. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you experience technical problems or have questions.
All Students (Full- and Part-time)
- Go to SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION and create an account. Save your log-in information for future reference.
- Will need Student Member ID to complete the online submission
- Must be enrolled or planning to enroll in an optics, photonics, imaging, optoelectronics program or related discipline (e.g., physics or electrical engineering) at an accredited school for the school year beginning in the Fall 2012 (Sept 2012-July 2013)
- Two recommendations are required. An automated message will be sent to your recommenders providing them with a link to your application where they will fill in a questionnaire. Relatives are not eligible to make recommendations.
- Attach Annual Scholarship Report to online application form if reapplying. Scholarship application form must show new activities from which the previous award was received
- Incomplete applications will not be eligible for consideration.
- All students will be notified of the results of their application in April/May.
High School, Pre-University, Secondary School Students
- Will receive a one-year complimentary Student Membership
- Submit a Pre-College Membership Application Form
- Must be planning to enroll in an optics, photonics, imaging, optoelectronics program or related discipline (e.g., physics or electrical engineering) at an accredited school for the school year beginning in the Fall 2012 (Sept 2012-July 2013)
The SPIE Scholarship Committee Team