- Manuscripts should be 8 to 12 single-sided pages (15 pages for Invited Papers). There is a charge of $35 for each additional manuscript page beyond 12 pages (see the Publications Charges Form PDF for payment details).
- Manuscripts need to be submitted in one of the following formats:
.rtf (rich text)
.pm (print), or
If you are using another software to create your manuscript, you can then convert your file to a print format by selecting the "print - to file" option with a .prn or .ps file type.
- All text--including footnotes and author information--and illustrations must appear within a 6.75x8.75 in. (17.15 x 22.23 cm) area.
- If you use a U.S.-standard page (8.5 x 11 in./21.59 x 27.94 cm), set margins to .875 in. (2.22 cm) left and right, 1.0 in. (2.54 cm) top and 1.25 in. (3.17 cm) bottom.
- If you use an A4 page, set margins to 1.925 cm left and right, 2.54 cm top, and 4.94 cm bottom.
- Use Times Roman or equivalent font for all text. Use boldface or italic for emphasis only. Single-space all text in one column, allowing extra space between paragraphs. The proper fonts (all Times Roman) for various elements are:
1. Article title is 16 pt bold
2. Author names, affiliations are 12 pt
3. SECTION HEADING are 11 pt bold caps
4. Subsection heading are 10 pt bold
5. Body text is 10 pt
6. Figure captions are 9 pt
7. Footnote text is 9 pt
Center the paper title at the top of the page in 16-point bold type. Only the first word, proper nouns, and acronyms are capitalized. Keep titles brief and descriptive. Avoid starting with articles or prepositions, e.g., "The study of … ," "On the …." Spell out acronyms unless they are widely known.
Authors and affiliations
Use 12-point type, centered. Leave extra space between authors and affiliations/address. Omit titles or degrees such as Dr., Prof., Ph.D., etc. Avoid acronyms that are not internationally known.
Begin the abstract two lines below author affiliation(s). Type "ABSTRACT" on a line by itself, all capitals, centered, 11-point type and boldfaced. Limit abstract to 250 words.
To ensure that your paper is indexed appropriately, please insert a list of up to 10 keywords of your choice between the abstract and the body of the text.
Type on a separate line, 11-point type, centered, all capital letters, and boldfaced. Number sections sequentially (i.e., 1, 2, 3,...).
Type on a separate line flush with the left margin. Capitalize the first letter of the first word and proper names only, and boldface the heading. Number subsections according to the following example: Sec. 3.1 is the first subsection of Sec. 3; Sec. 3.2.1 is a subsection of Sec. 3.2.
Leave additional space between paragraphs. Indentation is optional.
All body text, including abstract, should be 10-point type.
For the first occurrence (other than for commonly used acronyms such as IR, CCD, MTF, etc.), spell out each word followed by the acronym in parentheses, e.g., liquid phase epitaxy (LPE) or Extreme Ultraviolet Explorer (EUVE).
Type all equations. Punctuate as a sentence. Type display equation numbers in Arabic numerals in parentheses flush with the right margin. Number display equations consecutively.
Figures and tables
Figures and tables should be clear and legible but sized to make economical use of space, and must fit entirely within the manuscript image area. Similar or related figures should be of uniform size with uniform lettering. All figures should be called out in the text as well as properly labeled and captioned. Number figures sequentially using Arabic numerals, and place a numbered caption near each figure or table. Figures may be positioned within the text or at the end of the manuscript.
Figure and table captions
Type captions in 9-point type. Number figures sequentially, and begin caption with figure or table number.
Additional author information, such as email addresses and web site location should be given in a footnote. Footnotes must appear within the page image area.
Type reference citations within the text as superscripts.
All acknowledgments for technical and financial support and government contract or copyright information should go in this section, which follows the text but precedes the references.
Denote reference citations within the text by means of a superscript number. List references at the end of the paper in numerical order. Include the following information (as applicable).
- For a book: author(s), book title (italicized), page or chapter numbers, publisher, city, year.
- For a journal paper: author(s), "paper title" (in quotes), journal name, volume number (bold), page numbers (inclusive), year.
- For a proceedings paper or chapter in an edited book: author(s), "paper or chapter title" (in quotes), volume title (italicized), editor(s), volume number (if applicable), page numbers (inclusive), publisher, city, year.
Manuscripts submitted through http://MySPIE.org that contain color will retain color in all of SPIE's digital publications at no charge. However, authors must pay a fee of $480 per page to have color printed in the printed proceedings volume. If you wish to pay for color printing for your manuscript, please fill out and return the Publication Charges Form PDF. When formatting color it is important to keep in mind that if you are not paying for color printing, that the manuscript will be printed in grayscale, and color schemes need to be of sufficient contrast. For example, yellow on a white background or purple on a black background will most likely not print adequately when converted to gray values. If you do not wish to pay for color and are submitting a hard copy, convert your figures to grayscale to ensure quality reproduction.
Transfer of Copyright
A statement of Transfer of Copyright PDF must be signed and returned to SPIE for publication in the Proceedings of SPIE. The intent of this agreement is to protect the interests of both SPIE and authors/employers, and to specify reasonable rights for both parties related to publication and reuse of the material. Complete details of the agreement are outlined on the form. The form may be sent via post (address on form), scanned and e-mailed to Copyrights@SPIE.org, or faxed to 360-647-1445.
Electronic style templates
Style templates in Microsoft Word and LaTeX are available online. SPIE is unable to provide technical support for LaTeX.