Benefits of participating in the Innovation Village
· The village will be open to all attendees to the Photonics Europe conference and the Photonics Europe exhibition, plus press and other officials, giving your product international visibility.
· Press releases will be distributed to all industry publications and a description of all projects will appear on the SPIE web site.
· A special effort will be made to invite Venture Capital companies, and being present in the Village will give you an opportunity to meet them.
Rules and conditions
· The village will include one panel for displays and explanations, a table and chairs.
· It is mandatory to display a prototype or demonstration; however, the demonstration does not need to be continuous. It is recommended to also supply English-language literature describing your product.
· Please ensure that you take out insurance coverage for your products as appropriate. Your group will receive one complimentary technical pass to the Photonics Europe Conference.
Who can apply
The initiative can come from anyone active in the wide domain of photonics. There is no limitation on the number of team members, but three is the recommended number. Your team can be based anywhere in the world and can have affiliations and connections to other non-profit or profit making groups or companies.
You must have developed an actual product or have at least a prototype of the product which can be displayed in the Innovation Village. (Software for specific applications related to photonics is acceptable, as long as it can be demonstrated.)
Products which have been commercialised and are being currently sold or are on the market, will not be considered. Basic improvements on existing products will also not be considered.
You must be able to attend Photonics Europe and be present at your booth.
How to apply
Submit an application of no more than three pages:
· A description of your product or prototype or demonstration.
· A description of the photonics technologies involved with your product.
· A description of the purpose of the product and the potential market.
· A description of your institution, research centre or company, and the funding of the project which led to your innovation.
· A description of the team itself, its members and their primary activity (student, grad student, professor, researcher, other)
Application for participation in the Photonics Europe 2014 Innovation Village should be sent to Diane De Coster by 2 February 2014. Preliminary questions can also be forwarded to Diane De Coster at firstname.lastname@example.org
The organising partner will review all applications, after which they will select and invite teams. You will be notified regarding your invitation within 2 weeks after the submission deadline.
It is recommended to apply as soon as possible, as the available space is limited!
The 6th edition of the Photonics Innovation Village will be organised by the Vrije Universiteit Brussel. By taking part in the competition, innovative researchers will receive a complimentary "mini-booth" in a special section of the exhibition.
Awards and Judging
In the categories "Best Innovation by an Individual Researcher" and "Best Innovation by a Multilateral Project, Organisation or Company", the Innovation Village Selection Committee will grant awards for the best technological innovation among the participants in the Innovation Village. Category winners will receive an award of €1500. The first and second runner-up will each win €500. Awards are sponsored by the Brussels Capital Region Government.
The announcement of the winners in each category will take place at the Innovation Village on Wednesday, 16 April 2014. This announcement will be accompanied by a reception for the participants of the Innovation Village.
The Innovation Village Selection Committee will include:
Representatives from the European Commission Photonics Unit
A representative from SPIE
A representative of Photonics21
Representatives from organising partner VUB
A representative from a bank or venture capital company
- A representative from a large European photonics company