The Mission/Vision Statement of SPIE, the International Society for Optics and Photonics states that SPIE partners with researchers, educators, and industry to advance light-based research and technologies for the betterment of the human condition. It is the purpose of this statement to advance this vision by presenting ethical guidelines for society members, collaborators, and participants to abide by in their professional lives.
- Discrimination based on race, religion, gender, age, disability, or sexual orientation is not acceptable.
- Individual and public safety and welfare should be considered paramount in performance of professional duties.
- Real and potential conflict of interest should be avoided and disclosed to all impacted parties when it cannot be avoided.
- Technical knowledge and skills should be kept up-to-date and work should be performed in areas of competency.
- Public statements should be realistic and issued in an objective and truthful manner based on available data.
- Professional confidentiality should be maintained.
- Accomplishments, publications, professional honors and titles should be accurately reported.
Print full version of SPIE Code of Ethics