A primary benefit of Membership in SPIE is the opportunity to interact with world-class scientists and engineers at the leading edge of technological advances in optics and photonics. Each chapter in good standing can request travel support for one lecturer per calendar year using the Visiting Lecturer funding.
Organize a Lecture:
- Select a speaker from the list provided. SPIE Visiting Lecturers are listed alphabetically in the Lecturer Directory. Listings include contact information, biographic data, and lecture topics. Invited speakers must be SPIE members to be eligible for this program. To invite individuals not listed in the directory, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Contact the speaker directly to request a lecture and suggest possible dates.
- Upon acceptance of the invitation, request an estimate of travel expenses from the lecturer. SPIE provides Student Chapters and other approved regional organizations with up to $1500 USD per year to support this activity.
- Complete an SPIE Visiting Lecturer Request Form and submit it to SPIE for approval (no reimbursement will be authorized without prior approval by SPIE).
- Upon approval by SPIE, work with the lecturer directly concerning logistical details for the visit (airport transportation, A/V needs, meals, etc.).
- Ask your lecturer to make their own travel arrangements and submit receipts to SPIE within 30-days of their presentation.