Manuscripts must be submitted to SPIE with text and figures formatted in one document exactly as you would like it to appear when published, in accordance with SPIE's manuscript specifications.
SPIE's manuscript submission system is located at MySPIE.org
Because each volume has manuscripts that come from diverse sources, SPIE accepts only .ps, .prn, .doc, and .rtf files. Other formats, such as PDF files, will not upload. Color illustrations in manuscripts will appear in the SPIE Digital Library and in Symposium Proceedings on CD-ROM at no charge. Please note:
Steps for Electronic Submission
- Login to MySPIE.org. If you do not have a MySPIE login id yet, please follow instructions to create one. Use the same email address that you have used previously with SPIE when you create your id.
- Your MySPIE login page will have a link or menu selection to upload your manuscript. (A MySPIE proceedings manuscript number looks like this: 4417-72.) While you do this process, indicate any pages to be printed in color for the volume and the page size of your manuscript--letter or A4.
- A few minutes after you upload your paper, it will be available for you to view the upload as a new .pdf. If you are already logged into MySPIE, a link to "approve manuscript" will appear. You will also receive an email telling you the upload is ready for your approval. Disregard the "reformatting" messages in the email you receive unless the upload failed. Follow the automatic link and instructions for approving the upload.
- Submit your Transfer of Copyright form, which is required for publication.
If you are having trouble with your manuscript upload you can receive help from your editor or email@example.com. The tips below many be helpful for problems when viewing uploaded manuscripts for author approval.
1. Fonts are incorrect or missing text. Often the problem is fonts that were not included in a Postscript file or the manuscript does not use standard fonts like Times Roman or Arial.
2. Manuscript number does not appear when you log in to MySPIE.org. Often it is because only the "contact author" for the manuscript can view and approve the manuscript. To change the manuscript contact author please contact your editor. Sometimes authors have created a second MySPIE id and your editor can also help with this problem.
3. Margins do not fit the red box. For margin specifications, please see the sample manuscript or SPIE's manuscript specifications. If it is because your editing changes are showing in a Word file, try searching "remove track changes" in your Microsoft Word help.
4. Page breaks are awkward. If you are having page break problems, a helpful trick is to format your paper with a slightly larger bottom margin than in SPIE's manuscript specifications.