Prospective authors should compile a formal proposal that includes the following:
1. A table of contents (or chapter topics and authors for a multi-author work)
2. Your résumé (curriculum vitae)
3. These key elements.
- A technical description of the project (at least 3 paragraphs).
- A description in layman's terms of how the reader will benefit from the work.
- One or two examples of how this technology or science affects current society.
- A list of all of the professional societies that will have an interest in the book.
- A list of the target magazines and journals for promotion/review of your work.
4. Answers to the following questions. (Please answer as completely as possible for the benefit of proposal reviewers.)
- Who is the target audience for the book (what industries or academic disciplines)?
- Name the leading researchers in this field.
- What books already exist on the subject and how will yours differ?
- Could the work be used as course material?
- What specific mathematics courses are required for understanding of this book?
- When will the manuscript be completed?
- What is your estimate of the number of pages in the final, double-spaced manuscript?
- How many equations will be included?
- How many figures (line art, photos and other graphics) will be included? Note we do not print images in color as a rule; however, if you feel color is necessary for a figure, please explain why, and how many total images you expect to be in color.
- Do you intend to include any material that is not yours? If so, do you have permission to use the material?
- What program will you prepare the text in (Word, WordPerfect, LaTeX, or PostScript)?
- What format will you deliver figures in (TIFF or JPEG preferred)?
- What SPIE and/or non-SPIE events would be appropriate for display of your book?
- Do you know of any bulk sale opportunities, e.g., through companies or organizations for which you have consulted?
Send all material via post to SPIE PRESS Acquisitions, P.O. Box 10, Bellingham, WA 98227-0010 USA. Or courier mail to SPIE PRESS Acquisitions, 1000 20th Street, Bellingham, WA 98225 USA.
Alternatively, you may email your submission with attachments to Tim Lamkins (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please note that we are no longer accepting proposals for the Milestone Series.
All submissions will undergo a peer review process, and we will make every effort to contact authors with the results in a timely manner. Submissions will not be returned.