The SPIE Digital Library and the SPIE Newsroom are two great sources for photonics research. Using the most recent data available, here is a selection of the most frequently downloaded Proceedings and Journals papers on the Digital Library, and the most read articles on the Newsroom.
SPIE Newsroom May 2009
1. "Toward textile-based solar cells," by Max Schtein.
2. "Bistable liquid-crystals reduce power consumption for high-efficiency smart glazing," by Damian Gardiner, Stephen Morris, and Harry Coles.
3. "Toward the next generation of iris biometrics science," by Kevin Bowyer, Patrick Flynn, Karen Hollingsworth, Sarah Baker, and Sarah Ring.
4. "Anisotropic surface-plasmon- resonance imaging biosensor," by Aurélien Duval, Alain Aide, Alain Bellemain, Julien Moreau, Michael Canva and Fabrice Bardin.
5. "Multipurpose integrated active contact lenses," by Babak Parviz and Andrew Lingley.
6. "Super-resolution," by S. Susan Young.
7. "The optical assembly of nanoparticles," by David Andrews and Luciana Dávila Romero.
8. "Computed tomography scanning of Meresamun," by Emily Teeter and Michael Vannier.
9. "Single photon nonlinear optics on photonic crystal chips," by Dirk Englund, Andrei Faraon, Ilya Fushman, and Jelena Vuckovic.
10. "Where is retinal optical coherence tomography heading?," by Wolfgang Drexler.
SPIE Journals February 2009
1. "Three-dimensional light modulation using phase-only spatial light modulator," by Jun Xia and Hanchun Yin, Opt. Eng. 48, 020502 (2009). Open Access
2. "Double-patterning requirements for optical lithography and prospects for optical extension without double patterning," by Andrew J. Hazelton, Shinji Wakamoto, Shigeru Hirukawa, Martin McCallum, Nobutaka Magome, Jun Ishikawa, Céline Lapeyre, Isabelle Guilmeau, Sébastien Barnola, and Stéphanie Gaugiran, J. Micro/Nanolith. MEMS MOEMS 8, 011003 (2009).
3. "Fluorescent protein tools for studying protein dynamics in living cells: a review," by Richard N. Day and Fred Schaufele, J. Biomed. Opt. 13, 031202 (2008).
4. "Camera calibration with lens distortion and from vanishing points," by Bingwei He and Youfu Li, Opt. Eng. 48, 013603 (2009).
5. "Mask characterization for double patterning lithography," by Karsten Bubke, Robert de Kruif, Jan Hendrik Peters, Mircea Dusa, and Brid Connolly, J. Micro/Nanolith. MEMS MOEMS 8, 011004 (2009).
6. "Acceleration feedback of a CCD-based tracking loop for fast steering mirror," by Tao Tang, Yongmei Huang, Chengyu Fu, and Shunfa Liu, Opt. Eng. 48, 013001 (2009).
7. "Proof-of-principle demonstration of a Mueller matrix decomposition method for polarized light tissue characterization in vivo," by Michael F. G. Wood, Nirmalya Ghosh, Eduardo H. Moriyama, Brian C. Wilson, and I. Alex Vitkin, J. Biomed. Opt. 14, 014029 (2009).
8. "Multiframe blind image restoration based on a multiplicative iterative algorithm," by Jianlin Zhang, Qiheng Zhang, and Guangming He, Opt. Eng. 48, 027004 (2009).
9. "Two-photon imaging using adaptive phase compensated ultrashort laser pulses," by Peng Xi, Yair Andegeko, Dmitry Pestov, Vadim V. Lovozoy, and Marcos Dantus, J. Biomed. Opt. 14, 014002 (2009).
10. "Automatic tuning for the segmentation of infrared images considering uncertain ground truth," by Rubén Usamentiaga, Daniel F. García, and Julio Molleda, J. Electron. Imaging 18, 013001 (2009).
Proceedings of SPIE January 2009
1. "Vacuum baking effects on the I-V characteristics of LWIR HgCdTe photodiodes with different passivation," by Yi Deng, Fei Ying, Xin-guo Cheng, Zheng-hua Ye, and Xiao-ning Hu, Proc. SPIE 7158, 715808 (2008).
2. "Nanostructures for high-efficiency photovoltaics," by Harry A. Atwater, Proc. SPIE 7047, 704702 (2008).
3. "Plasmonic nanoparticle scattering for enhanced performance of photovoltaic and photodetector devices," by E. T. Yu, D. Derkacs, P. Matheu, and D. M. Schaadt, Proc. SPIE 7033, 70331V (2008).
4. "HD Photo: a new image coding technology for digital photography," by Sridhar Srinivasan, Chengjie Tu, Shankar L. Regunathan, and Gary J. Sullivan, Proc. SPIE 6696, 66960A (2007).
5. "94-W ytterbium-doped single-mode rod-type photonic crystal fiber operating at 977 nm," by Johan Boullet, Yoann Zaouter, François Salin, and Eric Cormier, Proc. SPIE 7195, 719504 (2009).
6. "Immersion lithography: its history, current status and future prospects," by Soichi Owa and Hiroyuki Nagasaka, Proc. SPIE 7140, 714015 (2008).
7. "Influence of two-photon absorption and optical excitation size on the THz radiation via optical rectification," by Liying Lang, Xiannong Wang, Xueguang Wang, Qirong Xing, Lu Chai, and Qingyue Wang, Proc. SPIE 6279, 62796I (2007).
8. "Laser beam diagnostics according to ISO and their impact on practical application," by R. Kramer, H. Schwede, V. Brandl, S. Wolf, and O. Märten, Proc. SPIE 5962, 59622H (2005).
9. "Monolithic uncooled IR detectors of polycrystalline PbSe: a real alternative," by G. Vergara, L. J. Gómez, V. Villamayor, M. Álvarez, M. C. Torquemada, M. T. Rodrigo, M. Verdú, F. J. Sánchez, R. M. Almazán, J. Plaza, P. Rodriguez, I. Catalán, R. Gutierrez, M. T. Montojo, F. Serra-Graells, J. M. Margarit, and L. Terés, Proc. SPIE 6542, 654220 (2007).
10. "Double patterning combined with shrink technique to extend ArF lithography for contact holes to 22nm node and beyond," by Xiangqun Miao, Lior Huli, Hao Chen, Xumou Xu, Hyungje Woo, Chris Bencher, Jen Shu, Chris Ngai, and Christopher Borst, Proc. SPIE 6924, 69240A (2008).