As part of its education outreach mission, SPIE provides support for optics and photonics related education outreach activities. The award process is competitive; applications are judged on their potential to impact students and increase optics and photonics awareness. Some proposals may receive partial funding.
The key criterion in evaluation and ranking applications is the potential to impact students and to increase optics and photonics awareness.
Applications are judged on:
- potential to impact a large audience
- raise awareness and interest in optics and photonics
- clarity and structure of the project
- clear timeline and budget
Qualifying not-for-profit organizations such as universities, optics centers, science centers, primary and secondary schools, youth clubs, industry associations, and international optical societies are eligible for outreach activity support; STEM activities should have an optics or photonics component.
SPIE is using SmarterSelect to provide an easy and secure way to submit your education outreach grant application. Please contact email@example.com if you experience technical problems or have questions.
- Go to the Education Outreach Grant Application Form and create an account. Save your log-in information for future reference.
- A complete online application (including supporting documents if applicable) must be submitted by 11:59 pm (Pacific Standard Time) on the deadline date - see below.
- Incomplete applications will not be submitted for consideration.
- All applicants will be notified of the results of their application.
Cycle 1: Closed, 31 January
Cycle 2: Open, closes 31 May
Your proposed activity must take place sometime between August 2016 and July 2017. Recipients of SPIE Education Outreach Grants are required to submit an Annual Outreach Grant Report to the Society on how the Grant was used within 90 days of completing the activity. Past winners who have not submitted a report are not eligible to apply. New Education Outreach Grant applications must show new activities beyond that upon which a previous award was used.
Other Important Notes
If a program has received an Education Outreach Grant twice in a period of 5 years, it can only apply for further support through a Sustaining Grant, limited to a maximum of $2,000. There is no limit to the number of times a program can apply for a Sustaining Grant, but it will be in competition with all other proposals for every application. Requests for the Sustaining Grants should use the same application form as the Education Outreach Grants.
SPIE's outreach grants cannot be used for:
- food and beverage costs exceeding 10% of the requested budget
- alcoholic beverages
- travel to conferences
- activities that benefit an individual
- speaker honoraria
- teacher stipends or salaries
- student stipends or salaries
- overhead and administrative costs of the organization
- applicants solely requesting classroom equipment to support teaching may not be considered
- sponsorship of technical conferences or workshops that are not limited to students or educators
- applicants solely requesting funds for purchase of classroom equipment to support teaching
Examples of Past Recipients
2016 Education Outreach Grant Recipients
2015 Education Outreach Grant Recipients
2014 Education Outreach Grant Recipients