Advance Technical Program
Please view your Conference Timeline for the date your Advance Program is due to your Program Coordinator
It is very important to have the programs done by this date. Once the programs are prepared:
- Author acceptance notifications are sent so that authors can begin their visa application process, make travel arrangements, finalize funding from their organizations, and begin to write their manuscripts
- Promotional emails are sent to participants, potential attendees with related technical interest areas, and related email lists. It is critical to have your finalized program available online when the emails are sent to ensure an audience for your conference!
Advance Program Guidelines
- Once you have reviewed the abstracts, or anytime during the process, begin determining session categories and place papers in sessions
- Enlist the help of your program committee members or other reviewers to review the abstracts for high-quality submissions. See the SPIE Submission and Review System Information
- If your conference includes research from your own institution, ensure that the number of presentations is not disproportionate to the size of your program overall
- Your program coordinator will send program templates and additional instructions to you as the advance program due date approaches
- An approximate number of accepted submissions for a two-day conference is 32-36, and more submissions are certainly acceptable
- SPIE reserves the right to cancel or combine conferences of less than 20 viable submissions.
Please include the following information with your program:
- Session Titles
- Conference chairs will also need to invite and confirm session chairs at this stage (program committee members are often assigned as session chairs). Note that:
- Full Names and affiliations of session chairs are needed for the program (include full contact information if they are not already on your program committee)
- Session chair duties include, but are not limited to, contacting authors within their session in advance to confirm that they will attend, introducing the session topic and each speaker, maintaining the printed schedule, and tracking session changes
- Session chairs should be confirmed before inclusion in the program
- List of paper numbers in each session, in sequence, with invited papers noted
- Invited papers are generally allocated 30-40 minutes; be sure to identify these for the program coordinator.
- Keynote papers are generally allocated 40-60 minutes
- Contributed papers are generally allocated 20 minutes
- Due to visa issues, we recommend that individuals from the following countries be placed just prior to coffee breaks or lunch, or at the end of the day: China, Russia, India, Ukraine, Belarus, Uzbekistan, Turkey
- List of poster papers
- If you received papers that fit better into another conference, please make sure to let your program coordinator know so that they can notify the other conference chairs
- List of rejected papers
- To assure a high-quality conference, reject commercial papers, papers with no research content, and papers in which supporting data or technical description cannot be given for proprietary reasons
- Allow 20-30 minutes for the morning and afternoon breaks which will occur between 10-11:00 am and 3-4:00 pm each day, and allow at least 1 hour for lunch.
- Conference chairs and committee members are encouraged to make suggestions for possible panel discussions and workshops.
- Once the advance program is finalized, the contact author of each submission will be notified by email of acceptance/rejection.