SPIE Optics + Photonics 2016 is the largest international, multidisciplinary
optical sciences and technology meeting in North America;
above, student leaders during a workshop at last year's event.
Astrophysics' new LIGO-enabled paradigm for exploring the universe, the latest findings of the Mars rovers, and bioinspired robotics are just a few topics in optical engineering to be featured at SPIE Optics + Photonics in August.
More than 3,000 reports on the latest in research and applications development are on the program for the weeklong event at the San Diego, California, Convention Center, running 28 August through 1 September. New conferences among the total of 65 cover UV and higher energy photonic sources and materials, and CubeSats and nanosats for remote sensing.
Presentations are topically organized:
- SPIE 2016 Gold Medal winner Paras Prasad, University at Buffalo, State University of New York
- Mars Curiosity Rover scientist Melissa Rice
of Western Washington University
- Bioinspired-robotics researcher Michael Tolley, University of California, San Diego.
Nanoscience + Engineering
- Harald Giessen, Universität Stuttgart
- Andrea Alù, University of Texas at Austin
- Alexandra Boltasseva, Purdue University.
Optics + Photonics for Sustainable Energy
- Eli Yablonovitch, University of California, Berkeley
- Peter Berme, Purdue University
- Harry Atwater, California Institute of Technology
- Christopher Flueckiger, Underwriters Lab.
Organic Photonics + Electronics
- Magnus Berggren, Linköping University
- Elvira Fortunato, Universidade Nova de Lisboa
- Zhenan Bao, Stanford University
- Ifor Samuel, University of St. Andrews.
Signal, Image, and Data Processing
- SPIE Vice President Maryellen Giger, University of Chicago
- Daniel Sigg, California Institute of Technology and the LIGO Hanford facility.
Join the conversation on social media:
All photos © SPIE, the international society for optics and photonics, except where noted.
28 August – 1 September 2016
San Diego, California, USA
Download the free
Conference and Exhibition App
for iOS or Android.
Join the conversation
on social media: