The second annual Optics and its Applications symposium -- the first Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) event to take place in Armenia -- took place this September. The SPIE Student Chapters from Bauman Moscow State Technical University and the Yerevan State University (YSU) helped organize the event.
The 146 participants from 29 countries had the opportunity to become acquainted with the achievements of optical science and technology in Armenia. Topics included optical properties of nanostructures, optics of liquid crystals, laser spectroscopy, mathematical methods in optics, quantum, singular, nonlinear, ultrafast, and fiber optics.
The symposium included eight plenary speakers.
- Janos Bergou, City University of New York
- Michael Berry, University of Bristol
- David Blaschke, University of Wroclaw
- Karen Hatsagortsyan, Max-Planck-Institut für Kernphysik<
- SPIE Fellow William Rhodes, Florida Atlantic University
- Stefano Bellucci, Frascati National Laboratory
- SPIE Member Tigran Shahbazyan, Jackson State University
The program was organized in collaboration with the International Commission for Optics (ICO), the Russian-Armenian University (RAU), the Institute for Physical Research of National Academy of Sciences (IPR), the research company LT-PYRKAL, and the faculty of physics at YSU.