BELLINGHAM, Washington, USA -- SPIE has won a Gold EXCEL Award from Association Media & Publishing for the SPIE Advancing the Laser Campaign, which marked the 50th anniversary of the invention of the laser.
SPIE won in the category Media Innovation: Integrated Mixed-Media Campaign. The award was one of 175 named in several categories out of nearly 1,000 entries from 91 associations.
The entry was evaluated via the campaign website, advancingthelaser.org, which features links to:
- a virtual museum of laser equipment, reflecting the display originally organized for Photonics West 2010
- 40 video interviews with laser luminaries
- a slide-show based on the photo tribute display panels that debuted at Photonics West 2010 and ultimately appeared in 50 venues in 15 countries around the world, in 5 languages
- the Optical Engineering special section on Quantum and Interband Cascade Lasers
- open-access features and interviews published in SPIE Professional magazine
- open-access content from the SPIE Newsroom and SPIE Digital Library
- educational posters and DVDs on laser technology
- news from the laser celebration.
Central messages of the campaign were the the profound and broad-reaching effects of laser technology in improving living conditions around the world, and the potential of advances on the near horizon to enable further improvements in healthcare, sustainable energy and lighting systems, information and communications technology, and community safety.
A panel of publication and communication experts familiar with the general goals and obectives of association publishing judged entries, giving consideration to the intended audience, mission of the organization and the significance of the piece in the field.
SPIE, the international society for optics and photonics, was founded in 1955 to advance light-based technologies. Serving more than 180,000 constituents from 168 countries, the Society advances emerging technologies through interdisciplinary information exchange, continuing education, publications, patent precedent and career and professional growth. SPIE annually organizes and sponsors approximately 25 major technical forums, exhibitions and education programs in North America, Europe, Asia and the South Pacific, and supports scholarships, grants and other education programs around the world.
Public Relations Manager
Tel: +1 360 685 5478