BELLINGHAM, WA, USA - 24 October 2008 - Two dozen academics, industry executives, and government researchers from around the world serving on the SPIE Board of Directors are meeting 24 and 25 October at Semiahmoo Resort near Blaine.
SPIE, headquartered in Bellingham, is a key organizer and sponsor of major international conferences, educational programs, and technical exhibitions on emerging optics and photonics technologies.
Board of Directors and other members are experts in technologies with applications in areas such as medical diagnostics and treatment, sustainable lighting and energy, digital video, computers, robotics, communications, astronomy, and security.
More than 40,000 researchers, product developers, and industry representatives participate in SPIE events each year. The Society annually publishes 17,000 technical articles and 20 handbooks, monographs, and other books.
SPIE contributes more than $1.6 million annually in scholarships, grants, and other programs supporting research and education around the world. Through its 129 international student chapters, SPIE supports the next generation of scientists and engineers.
The SPIE Board of Directors meets three times a year at various locations, with one meeting every three years hosted by the headquarters office.
Officers and Directors scheduled to attend include:
- Mr. Kevin G. Harding, GE Global Research Center, USA
- Prof. Brian Culshaw, Univ. of Strathclyde, UK
- Prof. Maria J. Yzuel, Univ. Autònoma de Barcelona, Spain
- Dr. Katarina Svanberg, Lund Univ. Hospital, Sweden
- Mr. Brian Lula, Physik Instrumente LP, USA
- Dr. John M. Pellegrino, Army Research Lab, USA
- Dr. Jennifer K. Barton, The Univ. of Arizona, USA
- Ms. Marta de la Fuente, Indra Sistemas S.A, Spain
- Dr. James G. Grote, Air Force Research Lab, USA
- Prof. Bahram Javidi, Univ. of Connecticut, USA
- Dr. Eric G. Johnson, National Science Foundation, USA
- Prof. Werner Jüptner, Bremer Institut für angewandte Strahltechnik, Germany
- Dr. Harry J. Levinson, Advanced Micro Devices, USA
- Prof. Fernando Mendoza Santoyo, Ctr. de Investigaciones en Óptica AC, Mexico
- Ms. Kathleen Perkins, OpticsReport, USA
- Dr. Giancarlo Righini, Istituto di Fisica Applicata Nello Carrara, Italy
- Dr. Upendra N. Singh, NASA Langley Research Center, USA
- Prof. Mitsuo Takeda, Univ. of Electro-Communications, Japan
- Prof. Hugo Thienpont, Vrije Univ. Brussel, Belgium
- Ms. Lisa Tsufura, CVI Melles Griot, USA
- Dr. David Wick, Sandia National Labs, USA.
See SPIE.org for more information.