Share Email Print
cover

Proceedings Paper

History of autostereoscopic cinema
Author(s): Walter Funk
Format Member Price Non-Member Price
PDF $14.40 $18.00

Paper Abstract

This paper covers the history of autostereoscopic cinema, from the beginnings of autostereoscopy in the 1800s, the development of motion capability and it's subsequent evolution to present techniques. Public viewings of autostereoscopic movies have occurred on a semi-ongoing basis since the early 1940s. In Moscow and other cities, theaters were constructed called stereokinos, for showing autostereoscopic films, with specially positioned seating for proper viewing. The Cyclostéréoscope was an autostereoscopic cinema system invented by François Savoye in France. It was based around a drum made of metal bars that revolve around a screen. For several years in the 1940s and 1950s, it was open to the public in Paris. Any film made in a dual film format could be shown. Besides dedicated theaters in Russia and France, exhibits of content have occurred outside devoted theaters. The paper focuses on the history of autostereoscopic technology developed for entertainment, public viewing of content, the individuals involved and the content itself.

Paper Details

Date Published: 7 February 2012
PDF: 25 pages
Proc. SPIE 8288, Stereoscopic Displays and Applications XXIII, 82880R (7 February 2012); doi: 10.1117/12.909410
Show Author Affiliations
Walter Funk, Hologlyphics (United States)


Published in SPIE Proceedings Vol. 8288:
Stereoscopic Displays and Applications XXIII
Andrew J. Woods; Nicolas S. Holliman; Gregg E. Favalora, Editor(s)

© SPIE. Terms of Use
Back to Top