Share Email Print

Proceedings Paper

A novel color filter array with 75% transparent elements
Author(s): Gang Luo
Format Member Price Non-Member Price
PDF $14.40 $18.00
cover GOOD NEWS! Your organization subscribes to the SPIE Digital Library. You may be able to download this paper for free. Check Access

Paper Abstract

Conventional RGB color filter array (CFA) in single-chip color cameras greatly reduce light intensity, and therefore limits the ISO speed of cameras. A novel CFA and an algorithm of forming color images are proposed. 75% of the CFA are transparent elements, and the remaining 25% are repeated color filter blocks. A compact arrangement of color filter elements in each block helps to reduce color artifacts. Such an arrangement features a higher sampling rate of luminance and a lower sampling rate of chrominance. Black-and-white images (BI) with high resolution can be acquired from the transparent elements, and color images (CI) with low resolution from the color filter blocks. To generate output color images (OI), the CI in RGB format is transformed into CIE Lab space, and the luminance components are replaced with the high-resolution BI. Based on a principle compatible to JPEG format, the visual quality of OI is satisfactory. Simulation was conducted using raw images acquired with a Canon 20D camera. Results show the potential of the CFA in making digital cameras with high ISO speed. Applications can be security day/night cameras and cell phone cameras that are able to capture images with low noise under dim light levels.

Paper Details

Date Published: 20 February 2007
PDF: 8 pages
Proc. SPIE 6502, Digital Photography III, 65020T (20 February 2007); doi: 10.1117/12.702950
Show Author Affiliations
Gang Luo, Consultant (United States)

Published in SPIE Proceedings Vol. 6502:
Digital Photography III
Russel A. Martin; Jeffrey M. DiCarlo; Nitin Sampat, Editor(s)

© SPIE. Terms of Use
Back to Top