Share Email Print

Proceedings Paper

Laser application in tracheobronchial tumors
Author(s): B. Krishna Rau; Sharon Krishna
Format Member Price Non-Member Price
PDF $14.40 $18.00
cover GOOD NEWS! Your organization subscribes to the SPIE Digital Library. You may be able to download this paper for free. Check Access

Paper Abstract

Ninety three patients with obstructing tracheobronchial tumors were treated with Neodymium: Yttrium - Aluminum - Garnet (Nd:YAG) laser photocoagulation over a period of six years. There were sixty seven Males and 26 Females with a mean age of 44.3 years (range 6- 79 years). 21 benign and 72 malignant lesions were treated with a total 212 sessions of laser photocoagulation (mean 2.4 sessions). The anatomical distribution of lesions were as follows; larynx 9 (three benign and 6 malignant) trachea 39 (27 benign and 12 malignant) left main bronchus 27 (14 malignant) right main bronchus 24 (14 malignant) and vocal cords - 9 (three malignant). There were 21 patients with squamous cell carcinoma, two adenocarcinomas, one adenoid cystic carcinoma, 7 cases of locally infiltrating tumors from thyroid and esophagus, 6 cases of carcinoid tumor and 16 benign lesions. Twenty one patients had a tracheostomy tube in place when treatment was started. Eighteen of the 21 patients with tracheostomy were weaned off the tube in a mean of 5.5 days from the start of treatment. Lumen was restored in 31 (79.4%) patients. In the other eight (20.6%), lumen was achieved, but not sustained. Complications included bleeding in three cases which were managed conservatively, two cases of pneumothorax, and four cases of bronchospasm. There were six deaths during the follow up but none attributable to the procedure. Laser photocoagulation offered effective treatment in the majority of patients with obstructing tracheobronchial tumors, with acceptable morbidity.

Paper Details

Date Published: 10 September 2004
PDF: 4 pages
Proc. SPIE 5610, Laser Florence 2003: A Window on the Laser Medicine World, (10 September 2004); doi: 10.1117/12.584321
Show Author Affiliations
B. Krishna Rau, Devaki Hospital (India)
Sharon Krishna, Devaki Hospital (India)

Published in SPIE Proceedings Vol. 5610:
Laser Florence 2003: A Window on the Laser Medicine World
Leonardo Longo; Alfons G. Hofstetter; Mihail-Lucian Pascu; Wilhelm R. A. Waidelich, Editor(s)

© SPIE. Terms of Use
Back to Top