Share Email Print

Proceedings Paper

Holmium laser lithotripsy (HoLL) of ureteral calculi
Author(s): Rainer M. Kuntz; Karin Lehrich; Amr Fayad
Format Member Price Non-Member Price
PDF $14.40 $18.00
cover GOOD NEWS! Your organization subscribes to the SPIE Digital Library. You may be able to download this paper for free. Check Access

Paper Abstract

The effectiveness and side effects of ureteroscopic HoLL of ureteral stones should be evaluated. In 63 patients (17 female, 46 males) a total of 75 stones of 3-20 mm diameter were treated with ureteroscopic HoLL. 18.7 percent of stones were located in the proximal third, 24.0 percent in the middle third and 57.3 percent in the distal third of the ureter. HoLL was performed with small diameter semirigid and flexible ureteroscopes, 220 or 365 nm flexible laser fibers and a holmium:YAG laser at a power of 5-15 W (0.5-1.0 J, 10- 15 Hz). 47 of 63 patients (74.6 percent) were immediately free of stones, and 8 others (12.6 percent) lost their residual fragments spontaneously within two weeks. Another 2 patients received additional chmolitholysis for uric acid stone fragments, i.e. 90.5 percent of patients were stone free by one sitting of ureterscopic HoLL. Of the remaining 6 patients (9.5 percent) who still had residual calculi 4 weeks after HoLL, 2 asymptomatic patients refused any additional treatment, 2 patients preferred treatment with ESWL, and 2 patients had a successful second HoLL, thereby raising the success rate of ureteroscopic HoLL to 93.7 percent. 2 patients showed contrast medium extravasation on retrograde ureterograms, due to guide wire perforation. No ureteral stricture occurred. In conclusion, transurethral ureteroscopic HoLL proved to be a safe and successful minimal invasive treatment of ureteral calculi.

Paper Details

Date Published: 21 May 2001
PDF: 4 pages
Proc. SPIE 4244, Lasers in Surgery: Advanced Characterization, Therapeutics, and Systems XI, (21 May 2001); doi: 10.1117/12.427816
Show Author Affiliations
Rainer M. Kuntz, Auguste-Viktoria-Hospital (Germany)
Karin Lehrich, Auguste-Viktoria-Hospital (Germany)
Amr Fayad, Cairo Univ. (Egypt)

Published in SPIE Proceedings Vol. 4244:
Lasers in Surgery: Advanced Characterization, Therapeutics, and Systems XI
Lawrence S. Bass; David S. Robinson; Eugene A. Trowers; Kenton W. Gregory; Lou Reinisch; Kenneth Eugene Bartels; R. Rox Anderson; Reza S. Malek; Kenneth Eugene Bartels; Lloyd P. Tate; Abraham Katzir; C. Gaelyn Garrett; Timothy A. Woodward; Hans-Dieter Reidenbach; George M. Peavy; Lawrence S. Bass; C. Gaelyn Garrett; Michael D. Lucroy; Kenton W. Gregory; Abraham Katzir; Nikiforos Kollias; Michael D. Lucroy; Reza S. Malek; J. Stuart Nelson; George M. Peavy; Hans-Dieter Reidenbach; Lou Reinisch; David S. Robinson; Lloyd P. Tate; Eugene A. Trowers; Timothy A. Woodward, Editor(s)

© SPIE. Terms of Use
Back to Top