Share Email Print
cover

Proceedings Paper

Chemical-oxygen iodine laser for high-power utilizing rf discharge dissociation of I2
Author(s): Shinji Ide; Tsuyoshi Wakazono; Takahiro Takemoto; Taro Uchiyama
Format Member Price Non-Member Price
PDF $14.40 $18.00
cover GOOD NEWS! Your organization subscribes to the SPIE Digital Library. You may be able to download this paper for free. Check Access

Paper Abstract

We suggest pre-dissociation iodine molecule utilizing RF-discharge (Radio Frequency discharge) dissociation of I2 for chemical oxygen iodine laser (COIL). The object of the study is to make clear that RF discharge is effective on our experiment. We focus chemical reaction of COIL itself, and especially consider a scheme of dissociation of I2 So following chemical reaction is a process of dissociate iodine molecule into iodine atom by O2(1Æ). I2+ nO2(1 Æ) ? 2I + n O2(3? ) n=4~6 This chemical reaction indicates that to dissociate iodine molecule into iodine atom needs a lot of O2(1Æ ). In our experiments we could prove that RF was effective in this term. Approximately 60% of iodine molecular, which is dissociated by RF discharge, is carried to laser cavity. It is estimated that the other 40% of iodine atom is recombination in our COIL system. As the results, we can obtain higher power, higher gain by using RF discharge dissociation than normal COIL.

Paper Details

Date Published: 25 January 2001
PDF: 4 pages
Proc. SPIE 4184, XIII International Symposium on Gas Flow and Chemical Lasers and High-Power Laser Conference, (25 January 2001); doi: 10.1117/12.414024
Show Author Affiliations
Shinji Ide, Keio Univ. (Japan)
Tsuyoshi Wakazono, Keio Univ. (Japan)
Takahiro Takemoto, Keio Univ. (Japan)
Taro Uchiyama, Keio Univ. (Japan)


Published in SPIE Proceedings Vol. 4184:
XIII International Symposium on Gas Flow and Chemical Lasers and High-Power Laser Conference
Antonio Lapucci; Marco Ciofini, Editor(s)

© SPIE. Terms of Use
Back to Top