Share Email Print
cover

Proceedings Paper

Fuzzy logic approach to extraction of intrathoracic airway trees from three-dimensional CT images
Author(s): Wonkyu Park; Eric A. Hoffman; Milan Sonka
Format Member Price Non-Member Price
PDF $14.40 $18.00
cover GOOD NEWS! Your organization subscribes to the SPIE Digital Library. You may be able to download this paper for free. Check Access

Paper Abstract

Accurate assessment of intrathoracic airway physiology requires sophisticated imaging and image segmentation of the three-dimensional airway tree structure. We have previously reported a rule-based method for three-dimensional airway tree segmentation from electron beam CT (EBCT) images. Here we report a new approach to airway tree segmentation in which fuzzy logic is used for image interpretation. In canine EBCT images, airways identified by the fuzzy logic method matched 276/337 observer-defined airways (81.9%) while the fuzzy method failed to detect the airways in the remaining 61 observer-determined locations (18.1%). By comparing the performance of the new fuzzy logic method and that of our former rule-based method, the fuzzy logic method significantly decreased the number of false airways (p less than 0.001).

Paper Details

Date Published: 16 April 1996
PDF: 10 pages
Proc. SPIE 2710, Medical Imaging 1996: Image Processing, (16 April 1996); doi: 10.1117/12.237925
Show Author Affiliations
Wonkyu Park, Univ. of Iowa (United States)
Eric A. Hoffman, Univ. of Iowa (United States)
Milan Sonka, Univ. of Iowa (United States)


Published in SPIE Proceedings Vol. 2710:
Medical Imaging 1996: Image Processing
Murray H. Loew; Kenneth M. Hanson, Editor(s)

© SPIE. Terms of Use
Back to Top