Share Email Print
cover

Proceedings Paper

Optical Sciences Center/College of Optical Sciences: 50 years of excellence
Author(s): James C. Wyant
Format Member Price Non-Member Price
PDF $14.40 $18.00

Paper Abstract

Aden B. Meinel established the University of Arizona Optical Sciences Center, now known as the College of Optical Sciences, in 1964 to fulfill a national need for more highly trained engineers and physicists in the optical sciences. Throughout its 50-year history, OSC has grown and evolved in response to industrial demand. It now includes a worldclass faculty and an international student body, and its academic programs offer more than 100 graduate and undergraduate courses, an ABET-accredited undergraduate optical sciences and engineering degree program, and outstanding M.S. and Ph.D. graduate programs with extensive distance learning options. Its graduates are in great demand and are employed by national and international governments, businesses and universities. This paper will describe the formation of OSC and its 50 years of excellence.

Paper Details

Date Published: 5 September 2014
PDF: 26 pages
Proc. SPIE 9186, Fifty Years of Optical Sciences at The University of Arizona, 918602 (5 September 2014); doi: 10.1117/12.2064450
Show Author Affiliations
James C. Wyant, College of Optical Sciences, The Univ. of Arizona (United States)


Published in SPIE Proceedings Vol. 9186:
Fifty Years of Optical Sciences at The University of Arizona
Harrison H. Barrett; John E. Greivenkamp; Eustace L. Dereniak, Editor(s)

© SPIE. Terms of Use
Back to Top