Share Email Print

Proceedings Paper

Health care using high-bandwidth communication to overcome distance and time barriers for the Department of Defense
Author(s): Seong Ki Mun; Matthew T. Freedman M.D.; Anthony Gelish; Robert E. de Treville; Monet R. Sheehy; Mark Hansen; Mac Hill; Elisabeth Zacharia; Michael J. Sullivan; C. Wayne Sebera
Format Member Price Non-Member Price
PDF $14.40 $18.00
cover GOOD NEWS! Your organization subscribes to the SPIE Digital Library. You may be able to download this paper for free. Check Access

Paper Abstract

Image management and communications (IMAC) network, also known as picture archiving and communication system (PACS) consists of (1) digital image acquisition, (2) image review station (3) image storage device(s), image reading workstation, and (4) communication capability. When these subsystems are integrated over a high speed communication technology, possibilities are numerous in improving the timeliness and quality of diagnostic services within a hospital or at remote clinical sites. Teleradiology system uses basically the same hardware configuration together with a long distance communication capability. Functional characteristics of components are highlighted. Many medical imaging systems are already in digital form. These digital images constitute approximately 30% of the total volume of images produced in a radiology department. The remaining 70% of images include conventional x-ray films of the chest, skeleton, abdomen, and GI tract. Unless one develops a method of handling these conventional film images, global improvement in productivity in image management and radiology service throughout a hospital cannot be achieved. Currently, there are two method of producing digital information representing these conventional analog images for IMAC: film digitizers that scan the conventional films, and computed radiography (CR) that captures x-ray images using storage phosphor plate that is subsequently scanned by a laser beam.

Paper Details

Date Published: 20 January 1993
PDF: 10 pages
Proc. SPIE 1785, Enabling Technologies for High-Bandwidth Applications, (20 January 1993); doi: 10.1117/12.139275
Show Author Affiliations
Seong Ki Mun, Georgetown Univ. Medical Ctr. (United States)
Matthew T. Freedman M.D., Georgetown Univ. Medical Ctr. (United States)
Anthony Gelish, Office of the Command Surgeon (United States)
Robert E. de Treville, MDIS Project Management Office (United States)
Monet R. Sheehy, MDIS Project Management Office (United States)
Mark Hansen, Tripler Army Medical Ctr. (United States)
Mac Hill, Tripler Army Medical Ctr. (United States)
Elisabeth Zacharia, Pearl Harbor Naval Branch Clinic (United States)
Michael J. Sullivan, Loral Fairchild Imaging Sensors (United States)
C. Wayne Sebera, Loral Corp. (United States)

Published in SPIE Proceedings Vol. 1785:
Enabling Technologies for High-Bandwidth Applications
Jacek Maitan, Editor(s)

© SPIE. Terms of Use
Back to Top