Share Email Print
cover

Optical Engineering • Open Access

Guest Editorial Optical Engineering Activity In The Huntsville Area
Author(s): Robert L. Kurtz; Robert B. Owen

Paper Abstract

Optical activities in the Huntsville area have been driven primarily by government and industrial requirements. These requirements were formulated largely by the Army, R&D work at Redstone Arsenal. They were expanded with the establishment of NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in the early 1960s. Local optical activity expanded rapidly, in step with the space program. By 1969, the optical community in Huntsville formed a significant part of the available technical resources. This fact was formalized on October 20, 1969, when the Optical Society of America voted to recognize the Huntsville section of OSA. The first section president was Charles L. Wyman. The organization was large and active from the beginning. Within a few months of recognition, there were 175 individual members, many working in advanced areas of optical research and development, and nine corporate members. Within six months of recognition, the section was holding an all-day symposium. Recently this organization joined with SPIE to form the Electro-Optical Section and Working Group in Huntsville.

Paper Details

Date Published: 1 June 1979
PDF: 1 pages
Opt. Eng. 18(3) doi: 10.1117/12.7972360
Published in: Optical Engineering Volume 18, Issue 3
Show Author Affiliations
Robert L. Kurtz, TAI Corporation (United States)
Robert B. Owen, NASA/Marshall Space Flight Center (United States)


© SPIE. Terms of Use
Back to Top