This course will provide the training needed for the optical engineer to work with the mechanical features of optical systems. The emphasis is on providing techniques for rapid estimation of optical system performance. Subject matter includes material properties for optomechanical design, kinematic design, athermalization techniques, window design, lens and mirror mounting.
- select materials for use in optomechanical systems
- determine the effects of temperature changes on optical systems, and develop design solutions for those effects
- design high performance optical windows
- design low stress mounts for lenses
- select appropriate mounting techniques for mirrors and prisms
- describe different approaches to large and lightweight mirror design