This course is designed to give the optical engineer or lens designer an introduction to the technologies and techniques of optical materials, fabrication and testing. This knowledge will help the optical engineer understand how the choice of optical specifications and tolerances can either lead to more cost effective optical components, or can excessively drive the price up. Topics covered include optical materials, traditional, CNC and novel optical fabrication technologies, surface testing and fabrication tolerances.
- identify key mechanical, chemical and thermal properties of optical materials (glass, crystals and ceramics) and how they affect the optical system performance and cost of optical components
- describe the basic processes of optical fabrication
- define meaningful surface and dimensional tolerances
- communicate effectively with optical fabricators
- design optical components that are able to be manufactured and measured using state of the art optical fabrication technologies
- choose the optimum specifications and tolerances for your next project